下面是出国留学网英语听力栏目小编和大家分享的英语听力练习材料:走进世界名校---耶鲁大学校园英语情景对话系列,第一课,耶鲁建校及得名。希望能对大家的英语听力练习有所帮助!
点击收听音频
A: Good morning. I’m Andrew. You seem to be new here. Can I help you?
A:早上好,我叫安德鲁。你是新生吧?需要什么帮助吗?
J: Nice to meet you. My name is Jenny. Actually, I'm a freshman , and I'm looking for the Law School.
J:很高兴认识你,我叫珍妮。实际上,我是一名大一新生,我在找法学院。
A: Well, I’m going there, too. Maybe you would like to follow me.
A:哦,我也要去法学院。你跟我走吧。
J: Really? That’s great. Thank you.
J:真的吗?那太好了。谢谢你。
A: Don’t mention it. Why did you choose Yale?
A:别客气。你为什么选择耶鲁呢?
J: Well, I learned its motto when I was nine: Lux et Veritas.Right?
J:哦,我9岁的时候就知道耶鲁的校训了一光明与真理。对不对?
A: That’s right.
A:是的。
J: From then on, I had been dreaming of this University. Finally, I’m standing here. You know, it has a long history. It was established in 1701...
J:从那时起,我就梦想着来这所大学读书,现在,我终于站在这里了。要知道,耶 鲁大学有悠久的历史,它建校于1701年……
A: That’s right.
A:是的。
J: By the way, I read from books that our predecessors celebrated the 50th anniversary Andrew Jenny of Yale in 1752, considering the school to be founded in 1702. While in 1850,a 150th anniversary celebration was held, showing that the anniversary date was considered to be 1700. However, the 200,h anniversary was celebrated in 1901. And from then on, 1701 is commonly accepted as the foundation year of Yale University. It seemed that there was great uncertainty on Yale’s birthday. Do you know why?
J:对了。我从书上看到,耶鲁大学于1752年举行50周年校庆,看来当时人们认 定耶鲁建校于1702年。但1850年又举行了 150周年校庆,可见建校日期变成了 1700年。然而,200周年校庆又变成了 1901年,并且从那以后,1701年成为了 公认的耶鲁建校之年。似乎耶鲁的"出身"存在很大的不确定性。你知道这是为 什么吗?
A: Well, I'm not sure. But I heard that some political reasons account for these twists and turns. Have you heard of the rector Thomas Clap? His tenure was from 1740 to 1766.
A:哦,我不是很清楚。但是听说这些变动与政治因素有关。你听说过托马斯?克菜 普校长吗?他的任期从1740年一直持续到1766年。
J: Yes, I know him. He is a highly respected president in Yale history. But it seemed that he had no different opinion on the 1702 version since the 50th anniversary celebration took place during his tenure.
J:嗯,我知道他。他是耶鲁历史上一位德高望重的校长。但是,似乎他对1702年 为建校之年的说法没有异议啊,50固年校庆就是在他的任期内举行的。
A: At first he didn’t. However, it is said that during his tenure, the relation between the college and the local government had deteriorated sharply because the government repeatedly interfered in the school matters. In order to preserve the independence of Yale College, rector Clap insisted that long before the 1701 An Act for Liberty to Erect a Collegiate School, ten ministers had founded the institution by donating books in 1700,so Yale College should be a private college. With his eloquence as well as profound legal knowledge, Clap won the 1763 trial and Yale maintained its independence.
A:起初他是没有异议,但是,据说在他任职期间,地方政府屡次干涉学校事务,导致学校与当地政府间的关系急剧恶化。为了维护耶鲁的独立精神,克莱普校长坚 持说,早在1701年颁布(自由建立大学学院法案)以前,10位牧师已于1700年 通过赠书的方式创建了这所学校,因此耶鲁应该是一所私立学校。凭借雄辩的口 才及渊博的法律知识,克莱普校长赢得了 1763年庭审的胜利,耶鲁维持了独立 治校的权利。
J: That’s cool.
J:他太帅了。
A: I agree. But there are also people questioning his integrity.
A:我也这么认为。但是也有人质疑他的不诚实。
J: Every coin has two sides. It's impossible to get all the good ones without any drawbacks.
J:凡事都有两面性,不可能只有好的方面啊。
A: Exactly. Without his perseverance, we won’t have such a Yale University.
A:确定。假如没有他的坚持,就没有现在的耶鲁大学。
J: I admire him very much.
J:我很佩服他。
A: Later on. Yale encountered many problems. Fortunately, under the leadership of several wise presidents, the school survived the difficulties and has grown to be on of the top-tier universities all around the world.
A:后来,耶鲁又遇到了很多问题。幸好,在几代校长的英明领导之下,学校度过了 困难时期,并成长为_所世界_流的大学。
J: We should cherish what we have now and study hard.
J:我们应该珍‘借现有的一切,努力学习。
A: Yeah. Actually, everyone here studies hard. You’ll enjoy your life here.
A:是啊。事实上,这里的每一个人都很努力。你会喜欢这儿的生活的。
英语听力栏目推荐阅读: